According to the National Cleaning Survey results, around 28% of US citizens spend 7 hours a week cleaning their homes. Although dedicating an hour from a day for cleaning purposes seems doable, not everyone has enough time at hand.
From tiresome office hours to taking care of children and other family obligations, several reasons make up why someone finds it hard to take time out for cleaning.
As such, many individuals question, “How long does it take to clean a house?” Knowing the precise timings can help you draft a suitable cleaning plan that aligns with your routine and saves time.
Regular Home Cleaning And What It Includes
Regular home cleaning is not a hard row to hoe – as long as you have time and do not mind putting in the effort. Otherwise, it may appear a daunting task, and you’ll likely procrastinate on getting the job done.
Nonetheless, learning what a standard home cleaning entails simplifies the process. Knowing the nitty-gritty details of home cleaning encourages you to take action regularly. Also, it clarifies what you need to do to follow basic cleaning practices.
Eventually, it motivates you to draft a cleaning plan that best suits your busy schedule.
Here’s what you must do regularly to avoid cluttering your home.
- Doing the dishes
- Taking out the trash
- Sweeping and mopping the floors
- Dusting the surfaces
- Arranging the sheets
- Disinfecting and sanitizing surfaces (for better cleaning practices)
If you prefer a tidy home like most people, you must do these tasks daily. Delaying them will only aggravate the dust and debris around your property.
Types of Cleaning that Require Additional Effort and Time
While typical house cleaning doesn’t appear time-consuming, how long does it take to deep clean a home? Of course, certain types of cleaning require extra time and effort. Perhaps this explains why most homeowners keep delaying the task.
However, it only takes a few additional hours to cleanse a home deeply. These include.
- Cleaning the refrigerator
- Doing the laundry
- Cleaning clogged gutters
- Vacuuming curtains and drapes
- Cleaning the oven
- Dry cleaning the carpets
- Washing the windows
- Cleaning the debris in the backyard
Note that your home requires these types of cleaning only occasionally. Ideally, you may need to do them once a month. Tasks like dry cleaning the carpets might require annual cleaning.
However, you might do the laundry more often – typically if you’re a large household.
But the question remains, “How long does it take to clean a house?” Generally, it wouldn’t take more than 2-3 hours to do deep cleaning.
But again, this may differ per the cleaning type. Essentially, cleaning the refrigerator and oven may take an hour, but unclogging a blocked gutter might take up to 3 hours.
Standard Cleaning Time Based on Home Size
The time you spend on regular or deep cleaning depends significantly on your home size. Of course, a larger property would require more hours.
So, how long does it take to clean a house? We’ll discuss average timings based on your home size.
- Single bedroom apartment. A 1 bedroom apartment typically comes with a single bathroom. It won’t take you more than an hour to clean the entire place. However, during the deep cleaning week, expect to spend at least 3.5 hours.
- 2 bedroom apartment. A residence with 2 bedrooms typically contains a single bathroom. It will take you no more than 4.5 hours to clean the home.
- 3 bedroom apartments. These generally come with 2 bathrooms. Allow yourself 5-6 hours a week to properly clean the place. A more deep cleaning depends on the amount of stuff you own. But it won’t take more than 6.5 hours.
- 4 bedroom home. They typically fall into the category of larger homes. So, how long does it take to clean a house with 4 bedrooms? Expect to dedicate around 6-6.5 hours a week.
- 5 bedrooms home. Cleaning a 5 bedroom home is indeed an arduous task. Pretty inconvenient without professional help and equally time-consuming. It would take you at least 7 hours when clean a large house.
Make sure you follow the best hygiene practices and remain cautious about overall home maintenance to avoid running into unexpected cleaning tasks.
How Long Does It Take to Clean a House?
While an average time calculation gives a general idea about home cleaning time, it doesn’t shed light on the exact time needed to clean a particular area around your home.
For instance, bathroom cleaning and washing may require more time than cleaning the bedroom, or it can be the other way around.
So, how long does it take to clean a house? We’ll curate a list of separate rooms to clarify it further.
Your bedroom is a haven where you relax and unwind after a tiring day. Naturally, a clean bedroom makes up for a peaceful and relaxing place. It enhances its aesthetics, but it also uplifts your overall experience.
Consequently, you catch a better sleep and prepare yourself to take on the most daunting days at work.
Fortunately, there’s no secret sauce to cleaning your bedroom. A few simple steps and BOOM, your bedroom is tidy, clean, and clutter-free.
- Begin by picking up the trash lying around your room.
- Next up, gather extra stuff lingering on your bed. It could be your books, notes, or clothes.
- Pile the notes and books neatly on the bookshelf and place the clothes in your wardrobe.
- Put the dirty clothes in the laundry basket and pick up any clutter hiding in the nooks and crannies of your bed.
- Dust the surfaces and sweep the flooring.
- Consider using a quality vacuum to suck the dust hidden deep within the carpet layers if you have carpet flooring.
So, how long does it take to clean a house when breaking down the time per the steps mentioned above? Generally, it would take around 2 hours. But it varies per the size of your home.
If there’s one area that gets dirty quicker than any other place on your property, it’s your bathroom. Your washroom collects dirt and grime in no time.
Even if it appears squeaky clean, there could be germs and bacteria hiding in the flooring, washbasin, shower, and toilet seat without you even knowing it.
Therefore, to prevent infections and ensure optimal health for your family, you must take appropriate steps to clean your bathroom.
- Pour multi-purpose bathroom cleaner on your shower, tub, and toilet seat.
- Let it soak for a few minutes, then scrub off the surfaces.
- Make sure you use different scrubbers for the toilet seat and the shower and tub.
- Use a disinfectant wipe to clean bathroom counters and wipe off the mirrors.
- Do not forget to clean the shower drain as it likely contains hair and hair product buildup.
- Following this, sweep and mop the bathroom floor.
- Finally, take out the trash, and you’re good to g!
Bathroom cleaning is an extensive task, and you might need around 1.5 hours to make it incredibly clean.
If you love food or cooking, for that matter, you’ll naturally expect a cleaner kitchen. A well-maintained kitchen promotes hygienic cooking practices. Beyond that, it keeps your food bacteria-free.
Because food is one of the primary sources that carry germs to your gut, you should never compromise on your cleaning practices.
- Begin by de-cluttering your counters. Even if they are neat with things in place, you need to remove everything to clean the surfaces.
- Use a disinfecting cloth to wipe the surfaces of your kitchen.
- Clean the stovetop using a quality cleaning product. Stoves are prone to numerous oil and food stains, and they may require extra effort to make them shiny and spotless.
- Lastly, wipe down the dust on your kitchen cabinets and appliances like the coffee maker, microwave oven, and blender.
So, how long does it take to clean a house when de-cluttering the kitchen? Overall, standard home cleaning will take up to 2 hours. Expect to spend additional 15 minutes when cleaning the kitchen.
How Long Does It Take to Clean a House Professionally?
If you have a busy schedule and cannot clean your home regularly, you may want to consider professional cleaning. The experts are well-versed in home cleaning and would ease the burden for you.
Yes, you’d need to pay for the purpose, but you’ll get a sparkly home. After all, professionals have years of experience in the field, and they follow the best cleaning practices to sweep and mop your home.
Plus, they use professional-grade equipment and unique solutions that do not match the common home tools.
But, how long does it take to clean a house when hiring professionals? Generally, trained cleaners take less time to clean your entire property because they have a team. Expect them to spend half an hour less than what you take to clean your home.
Regardless of how careless you might be when it comes to home cleaning, you’d want a clean home, nevertheless. However, dedicating a few hours out of your tight schedule might not always be possible.
Therefore, you may question, “How long does it take to clean a house?” Essentially, it can take as long as you may want to spend. However, expect to give at least 2 hours a week per room for standard cleaning.
If that isn’t feasible for you, consider hiring professionals!
Related Blog Posts
Commercial post construction cleaning requires a lot of time and effort. Most often, the standard...
Did you know that US residents spend around 6 hours every week cleaning their homes? A deep...
Post construction cleaning supplies: the list of necessary equipment and detergents and valuable tips
For many people, the word "renovation" provokes some negative associations, such as significant...
All set to get in your very own new apartment? Before you get comfy and dump all your stuff...
New construction or home renovation can mark the beginning of a new phase of your life. But, as...
Our workplace or office is where we spend most of our productive time. Therefore, ensuring it is...