Post construction cleaning of an apartment is a necessary cleaning activity, without which the new interior will not delight you with comfort. Of course, you can always contact a cleaning company, the employees of which are ready to carry out a comprehensive cleaning of the premises quickly and efficiently.
But it is also quite possible to put the apartment in order on your own if listening to professionals’ advice and planning all the stages correctly!
Post construction cleaning always has several stages. Dividing this great cleaning work into phases is the only way to bring the rooms’ ideal cleanliness as soon as possible.
Complex post construction cleaning consists of the following 8 main stages:
- Preparation of cleaning tools and detergents
- Cleaning of construction waste
- Cleaning of surfaces
- Floor cleaning
- Wall and ceiling cleaning
- Preparation of furniture and other furnishings
- Cleaning of windows and glass surfaces
All the stages of post construction cleaning have several features that imply special tools and methods. To facilitate the task of cleaning after repairs, ask your friends or family for help. We advise you to clean after renovation with a team of assistants, which will significantly simplify and speed up the whole process.
1. Preparation of cleaning tools and detergents
Before you start the process of post construction cleaning, you should take care of everything needed for this event.
First of all, you need to prepare:
- Garbage bags – they must be large and tight.
- Solvents – white spirit, acetone, etc., to easily remove dirt from various surfaces.
- Powerful vacuum cleaner: Industrial models are the best for this.
- A set of detergents – for floors, plumbing, glass, wood, and plastic surfaces. Professional detergents do an excellent job of removing dirt. Their price is slightly higher in comparison with the usual ones, but the result will be great.
- Rags, sponges – choose microfiber products that absorb well and do not leave streaks; prepared rags in large quantities and different sizes since you will use them for floors, furniture, window sills, mirrors, etc.
- Floor cleaning kit – mop, bucket, scoop with brush or broom.
- Wear rubber gloves while cleaning. It is also worth purchasing special clothing and protective equipment for the face (glasses, respirator) if possible. When cleaning, do not forget about the use of personal protective equipment.
- The step-ladder will facilitate cleaning greatly. It is more practical and safer when working at height than chairs.
2. Cleaning of construction waste
Before doing post construction cleaning, you should clean the room of all debris accumulated during construction work and get rid of dust.
- Take out the bulky waste first. Store the remaining scraps of wallpaper, drywall, fiberboard, or linoleum in stacks, closer to the exit or outside the apartment to save space.
- Collect wooden, plastic, metal parts (pieces of skirting boards, profiles, laminate, etc.), the remnants of tiles, foam trimming, and put everything into bags.
- First of all, it is necessary to eliminate hazardous waste: chemicals, glass wool, etc. We recommend getting rid of them immediately after the completion of construction works. If it is not possible for any reason, pack this garbage should be carefully packed into garbage bags, and at the end, take it out with the rest of the waste.
- It is necessary to take out construction waste to specially designated places.
- Sweep and vacuum the rooms thoroughly, and then wipe off all surfaces from dust.
3. Cleaning of surfaces
The main stage of post construction cleaning service begins after the removal of bulky waste. It is essential to examine all the rooms carefully, to analyze which areas require more thorough cleaning. Before cleaning, you must carefully inspect the work area and analyze the sequence of actions. Usually, the floor, walls, and ceiling require the most attention.
- Clean the surfaces thoroughly of dust, remove with a solvent or water traces of paint or whitewash.
- If there are pieces of dried putty, plaster, cement, glue, foam, or sealant somewhere, carefully cut them off with a clerical knife or scrape them off with a spatula.
- You can use an abrasive sponge and warm water to remove traces of cement and other building mixtures.
- It is advisable to vacuum the floor, walls, and ceiling with a vacuum cleaner that removes even the smallest dust particles from all corners.
- Wash cleaned surfaces thoroughly using suitable detergents.
- You can clean painted surfaces with a damp cloth.
- The solution of vinegar mixed with saltwater perfectly removes dirt or dust from smooth surfaces.
4. Floor cleaning
Floor cleaning within post renovation cleaning of an apartment should be the most thorough stage.
- Clean the surface of construction dust, rinse it with water, then dry and vacuum.
- Use suitable detergents for your type of flooring. In particular, wipe linoleum and laminate flooring with a sponge dipped in mild soapy water.
- For porcelain stoneware and tiles, more aggressive chemical compounds are suitable for parquet or boards – superior care products containing oil or wax.
- Wash linoleum with a soft sponge dipped in soapy water.
- If there are traces of dried varnish or paint on the floor covering, remove them with a special remover or denatured alcohol.
- You can easily remove slight contaminations with regular alcohol.
5. Post construction cleaning also includes Wall and ceiling cleaning
- Remove dust on walls and ceilings easily with a telescopic vacuum cleaner. The telescopic tube of the vacuum cleaner will help you get to hard-to-reach places.
- Use a damp cloth with mild detergents for cleaning plastered or painted walls without causing damage.
- If there are traces of adhesive tape, glue, and fresh paint on the surfaces, it is easiest to remove them with a swab moistened with white spirit.
- Choose a metal washcloth or a hard abrasive sponge for removing dried polyurethane foam.
- To remove traces of rust, use a solution of copper sulfate.
- Treat surfaces in bathrooms should with chlorine-containing agents, then rinse and wipe dry them.
6. Preparation of furniture
When the renovation is completed, and you have done the main post contruction cleaning steps, bring furniture into the room.
- If it is new, it is enough to remove the protective films, vacuum the soft parts, and wipe all smooth surfaces from dust thoroughly.
- After repairs, vacuum the surfaces of upholstered furniture thoroughly. If the furniture remains the same, clean it, remove stains, refresh the upholstery, and polish the smooth elements. To do this, use detergents for cleaning textiles, leather, wood, as well as a washing or ordinary vacuum cleaner, non-abrasive sponges, and microfiber napkins. If necessary, dry-clean the upholstered furniture and treat the wood with special impregnations.
- Use special means for leather goods. Do the same with carpets and curtains. Wash or dry-clean the textiles.
- If there are traces of grease or other organic dirt on the furniture, then an alkaline agent, as well as acetic or citric acid, will help remove them.
- Do not forget about wardrobes and built-in household appliances. Clean all items from the inside and outside, thoroughly degrease surfaces, clean them from dust, and then wet clean using detergents.
7. Cleaning of windows and glass surfaces
The washing of window frames when you make post construction cleaning directly depends on the material from which they are made.
- The PVC profile is very easy to clean. Any detergents, including those containing ammonia or acids, are suitable for this. It is enough to wipe the surface with a regular sponge soaked in a suitable composition and then remove the traces with a clean cloth.
- Wooden frames are a little more difficult to clean. Here the diluted dishwashing detergent will help a lot. We recommend leaving the solution on the surface for 15-20 minutes and then rinse to remove stubborn dirt. Repeat if necessary.
- Remove all stickers from window profiles. To do this, you can use a spatula and then remove traces of glue with alcohol.
- Use alcohol-based products to clean glass surfaces.
- Clean glass panes using standard products. The most effective are alcohol-containing formulations that do not leave streaks.
- It is best to seek professional help for cleaning windows from the outside, especially on the upper floors.
8. Completion of cleaning
Cleaning after renovation is the most time-consuming and complex process in the field of cleaning. The last thing is cleaning the remaining elements of the furnishings: heating radiators, lamps, curtains, etc. It is necessary to remove dust from them, rinse and dry removable parts, and reinstall them.
- Wipe heating radiators.
- Do not forget about such an element as ventilation grilles. Clean off the dust, including construction dust, and then wipe with soapy water. Usually, the ventilation grilles are very clogged during the renovation and need to be thoroughly cleaned.
Conclusion of our Post Constuction Cleaning Tips Post:
Post construction cleaning service, the price of which is the spent effort and money, can seem like an extremely tedious long process. But enjoying the completion of the construction works without going through this stage is not possible.
It is worth planning everything, sensibly assessing the amount of work and the ability to master it yourself. If necessary, still contact the professionals in post construction cleaning services.
Related Blog Posts
Commercial post construction cleaning requires a lot of time and effort. Most often, the standard...
Did you know that US residents spend around 6 hours every week cleaning their homes? A deep...
Post construction cleaning supplies: the list of necessary equipment and detergents and valuable tips
For many people, the word "renovation" provokes some negative associations, such as significant...
All set to get in your very own new apartment? Before you get comfy and dump all your stuff...
New construction or home renovation can mark the beginning of a new phase of your life. But, as...
Our workplace or office is where we spend most of our productive time. Therefore, ensuring it is...